Thursday, August 14, 2014

San Ramon Street Sighting - 1948 Ford Super DeLuxe V8 Coupe

When I was a kid I loved 1940s Fords. Heck, I still do. The '40 and '48 were my favorites, then I discovered the '49 and fell in love with that too. I even like the '42 to some extent. Every kid is fascinated seeing the DeLorean time machine in action in Back to the Future, but I cringe every time I see how they abused Biff Tannen's black '46 Ford convertible.



This is a '48 Super DeLuxe V8 coupe, one of few in my area that remain pretty much visually stock. It's not totally original, as the fetching metallic green paint is custom and the neat little pair of chrome exhaust tips probably didn't come from the factory either. But the stance is close to stock and all the lovely brightwork is there. I like the color the owner chose, since most of the factory colors for 1948 were very flat and drab-looking and this shade sets off the curvy body nicely. This is the only time I've seen this car on the street, so it was a lucky spotting. I'm still holding out for a woodie or maybe a convertible from this generation to supplement the '47 Fordor sedan and this coupe. Anybody have a '46-47 Ford Sportsman they wouldn't mind leaving outside for me to find?

1 comment:

  1. When I saw the front shot I knew this was not a stock color and I thought it might be a let down. I didn't realize how striking this car looks in this paint. Green is my favorite color. As a boy, I was crazy over 30's and 40's Fords. I too love the 1940 Ford. I had a red coupe in, probably, 1:34 scale. This '48 is a beautiful car and the name Super DeLuxe suits it well. As for the dual exhaust, I hope there's a flathead under the hood. Before I even read your last line, I thought it would be great to see a Sportsman in this blog.

    ReplyDelete