Friday, December 20, 2013

Dublin Street Sighting - 1993 Ford Mustang Cobra

I'd like to think I have fairly high standards for feature cars here. I don't just shoot anything old. If that were the case I'd have a blog full of beat-up Chevy pickup trucks and Plymouth Valiants. It usually has to be something historically notable or at least something that tickles my fancy. For that reason I'm hesitant to go wild over a Foxbody Mustang. I have nothing against them; they're just common and kind of generic, frequently beaten to an inch of their life or tricked out by teenagers with cowl induction hoods, bling rims and custom lights. The rare special editions are hard to find and a regular LX 5.0 or GT doesn't excite me a whole lot. So that pretty much leaves the 1993 Cobra.


The Mustang Cobra was a limited-edition high performance model that enhanced the 5.0 liter V8 engine with GT-40 style air intake and cylinder heads, freer-flowing exhaust, better brakes, tougher suspension components and a 5-speed manual transmission. The end result was 235 horsepower and 280 lb/ft of torque, about 30 hp more than the regular '93 Mustang GT. A race version, the Cobra R, was also offered but is exceptionally rare at just 107 built, all in red. The Cobra was available in three colors: Black, Vibrant Red and Teal Metallic. Of the 5,100 Cobras built, only 1,355 were Teal, making it the rarest color. This car is one of 802 produced in this color with gray leather interior. I believe it also has the optional sunroof.

This Cobra is a great twenty-footer. From across the street it looks perfect. In fact it's nice enough that the owner takes it to shows. Up close, it's still a 20-year-old Mustang and is showing its age. There are paint chips on the fenders and the black horizontal striping on the right taillight is coming off. The 7-spoke chromed Thunderbird wheels still shine brightly. The driver door could stand to be re-aligned with the body, but what concerns me most is what appears to be a rust hole in the rear hatch. This isn't a dime-a-dozen base 2.3 notchback, it's too nice a car to let rust. I love the color and the whole package is very attractive to me in an early-1990s kind of way. I've never been a huge fan of Fox Mustangs but I'm definitely a sucker for a '93 Cobra.

No comments:

Post a Comment