Saturday, October 24, 2015

San Francisco Street Sighting - 1964 Ford Galaxie 500

I've always been kind of ambivalent toward the 1964 Ford full-size range. I like the '61, '63, '65, '66 and others but the '64 has always looked slightly unusual to me. I can't quite put my finger on it. In recent years I've warmed up to them somewhat.

We've looked at a couple of Ford's '64 big cars previously, including a Galaxie convertible and a Country Squire station wagon. Now we have a Galaxie 500 hardtop coupe I happened upon in Bernal Heights. Ford turned out more than 923,000 big cars for 1964, ranging from fleet-special Custom sedans to rip-snorting big-block Galaxie 500XLs. Over 58,000 were Galaxie two-door hardtops like this one.

It's a solid driver in need of some attention but still pretty cool. It sits on American Racing 200S wheels, probably vintage. The black plates look original, the number combination possibly a 1963 issue on an early-production '64 car. Plate frames from Geary Ford at 4041 Geary Boulevard in the city make it probably a lifelong Bay Area car. Apart from a bit of damage to the right rear corner the body is in great shape. Cool old beast.

1 comment:

  1. Nice car! I see this model 1st time in my life on a video from Goodwood Revival, a white one, driven by Jochen Mass, fighting with another Ford, a Fairlane. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete