Monday, October 17, 2011

San Francisco Street Sighting - 1965 Plymouth Barracuda


This one broke my heart when I saw it. I've become a big fan of the 1965 Plymouth Barracuda, with its sporty profile, big wraparound rear window, and underdog ponycar status. So naturally I got excited when I ran across this lovely silver fastback while in the city with my dad. A near-immaculate 273 V8 car with black Formula S styled racing stripes and mag wheels, how can you lose? I got out of the car and photographed it. Then I got around to the passenger side...


Somebody had tagged it pretty well with their car, enough to rip the sheetmetal around the rear wheel arch. It clearly wasn't a fresh accident, since the raw steel had had a chance to rust, but it was quite sad to behold.
I do have good news, however. The last time I saw this car (more than a year later, as these pictures were taken in September 2009), it had received proper attention and the quarter panel damage was gone. I just wish I'd had the chance to shoot it again with a fully intact body.
On another note, the first-generation Barracuda seems to be relatively popular around San Francisco among those looking for a sporty 1960s coupe that's less common than a Mustang and cheaper than a first-generation Camaro. I've seen several, most of which have been in very good condition. As much as later-model 'Cudas have appreciated in value as muscle car collectors got whipped up in Hemi fever, it's good to see these humble little Valiant-based hot rods appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. This was my car in 2008 living in Santa Cruz, it was purchased with the damage. Wow do I miss this.

    ReplyDelete