Tuesday, February 14, 2012

San Francisco Street Sighting - 1978 Toyota Cressida

Most of the classics I find on the streets in this state are, well, from this state. Sometimes someone is kind enough to drive across the country just so I can photograph their ride. That is why someone would leave the great state of Vermont, right? Right?


This is an early Toyota Cressida, produced in 1978. The model was introduced for the '77 model year in other countries but I can't find any American examples older than '78. These are interesting to me with their formal styling and dignified appearance. The design goes a bit wrong at the rear, though, in my opinion. A wagon variant, with silly American-style artificial wood paneling, was also available.


This car could almost pass for a California vehicle. The body is in great shape aside from paint bake and tiny spots of surface rust on the front end from highway rock chips. Not many older Cressidas have survived, so a remarkably straight example with no serious rust is a rare find these days. It makes me wonder how much paint is left and whether it would polish back to a shine with the right amount of elbow grease.

1 comment: