Wednesday, February 27, 2013

San Francisco Street Sighting - 1970 Citroën DS

I'm not certain if this counts as a street sighting. I was leaving San Francisco's annual Fleet Week air show (at the same time as thousands upon thousands of other people as seen in these photos) and discovered this lovely green Citroën DS parked at Fishermen's Wharf. It turned out there was some sort of informal car show starting down at that end of the wharf, consisting mainly of lowriders and donk/high-riser cars on huge chrome wheels. Since the DS didn't match that description, and was parked on the same block where the Studebaker collector usually parks his cars, I felt more inclined to accept it as a legitimate street sighting. As difficult as it was to get clear pictures without hordes of people walking or biking past the car or milling around it, I feel like I've earned the right to feature it here!



The next question was what year it is. To an American, a DS is not so easy to date. This one is a US-spec model with exposed sealed-beam headlights. The color appears to be 1968 Vert Illicinée (Holly Green), but the dashboard is a post-1970 item and the car has 1970s license plates. My best guess is a 1970 or possibly 1971 model. (Citroën fans, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.) I couldn't blame the owner for wanting the deep metallic green - the only green offered in 1970 was a ghastly algae/moss green color. Note the orange fabric interior - not many other cars dare to offer such a vibrant hue. It's a beautifully preserved example, and by far the cleanest DS I've seen in San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment