Friday, September 17, 2010

San Francisco Street Sighting - 1950 Chevrolet 3100 pickup


I've always been a big fan of the 1947-53 Chevrolet Advance Design series pickups, and this is one of my favorite examples. It's a 1950 Chevy 3100 pickup in a lovely canary yellow with stained wooden bed extenders emblazoned with the logo of a San Francisco home renovation company. From about 20 feet away, this truck looks darn near brand new. Up close, there are a few blemishes here and there, most noticeably the well-worn steering wheel which is likely original. The body is straight; the chrome is in good shape though it could use some polishing to get rid of a small amount of surface rust in a few places. The paint job looks recent, the wood bed is clean and undamaged, and the Firestone wide whitewall tires with painted steelies and chrome hubcaps and trim rings really set it off.



I'm not 100% sure that this is a 1950 model, but that's my best guess since it lacks the new-for-1951 vent windows, and has red "Chevrolet" lettering above the grille. I'm not sure the hubcaps are correct for this model year, but they contribute a lot to the truck. The door handles may also be from a different year, but I'm not sure. It may actually be a '49. I tried to research it the best I could, but most images on the web are of trucks that have been customized in some way, making a 100% factory stock pickup difficult to find for comparison.

Bottom line? It's distinctive, it's beautiful, it's one of the coolest company trucks I've seen in the Bay Area. My hat's off to you, Mulhall Construction.

1 comment:

  1. I'd did not know what an Advanced Design was until a couple of months ago very cool truck, I am getting very jealous of the light you have for photography in SF :-)

    ReplyDelete